August 18, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
61st Annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance: Stats and Facts
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (Aug. 18, 2011) – The 61st Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance is Sunday, Aug. 21. What began as a little gathering for car buffs in central California’s Del Monte Forest has blossomed into one of the most competitive events in the year. The Pebble Beach Golf Links® are closed only once each year – the third Sunday in August when the 18th fairway welcomes an international collection of automotive style, performance and history.
• The Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance was founded in 1950.
• The Lodge at Pebble Beach™ (formerly the Del Monte Lodge) has been the host of the Concours since the event’s inception.
• Fewer than 30 cars were on display 61 years ago.
• More than 200 cars and motorcycles will line the 18th hole of Pebble Beach Golf Links® for the Aug. 21 Concours. There are 29 classes in 2011 including feature and special classes. The overall winner – Best of Show – is selected from among the judged class winners.
• Mercedes-Benz and 125 Years of the Automobile, Stutz Centennial, Ferrari GTO 50th Anniversary, Jaguar E-type, Early Rolls-Royce Silver Ghosts and Italian Motorcycles are among the featured marques for this year’s Concours d’Elegance.
• Participants will bring cars to Pebble Beach from 30 states and 14 countries, plus Monaco. Cars will be traveling from as far away as Hong Kong and Argentina; they began shipping well before the summer.
• Tonight Show host Jay Leno, who was a 2004 Pebble Beach Concours class winner with his 1916 Crane-Simplex Model 5 Holbrook Skiff, will once again participate on-stage during Sunday’s Concours award ceremonies. He is also an entrant and will show a 1918 Stutz Bearcat.
• Emmy and Tony Award winner Edward Herrmann will serve as the Concours’ Master of Ceremonies for the 13th consecutive year.
• Bugatti is the marque that has won Best of Show most often with nine wins (in 1956, 1959, 1964, 1966, 1976, 1985, 1990, 1998 and 2003).
• The 2011 Concours will display 125 years of the automobile, from a replica of the world’s oldest car – an 1886 Benz Motor Wagen – to more than 20 new concept and production vehicles. The oldest car competing for Best of Show is an 1894 Benz Victoria Vis à Vis.
• The Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance will take place Thursday, Aug. 18, beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the Pebble Beach Equestrian Center. The Tour d’Elegance is a 60-mile trip throughout the Monterey Peninsula down to Big Sur, and includes lunch at Devendorf Park in Carmel.
• Manufacturers use the Concours as a showcase for the more than 800 national and international media who will cover Pebble Beach Automotive Week August 17-21, 2011.
• More than 20 concept and new cars will be featured during the weekend, including vehicles from Bentley, BMW, Cadillac, Fisker, Ford, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Land Rover, Lexus, Lotus, Maserati, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Saab and Zagato/Alfa Romeo.
• The Concours has raised more than $1 million for local charities each year in recent years, which means the annual event has contributed well over $14 million to philanthropic organizations leading up to the 2011 Concours.
• More than 500 volunteers support the Pebble Beach Concours, including several dozen who travel to Pebble Beach from outside the U.S.
• Mark your calendars! Next year’s edition of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance will take place on Sunday, August 20, 2011.
First conducted in 1950, Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance® (www.pebblebeachconcours.net) has grown to be the world’s premier celebration of the automobile. Only the most beautiful and rare cars are invited to appear on the famed 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links®, and connoisseurs of art and style flock to see these masterpieces. Charitable donations raised by Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance® now total over $14 million. Related events include Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance™ presented by Rolex, Pebble Beach RetroAuto™, and Pebble Beach® Auctions presented by Gooding & Company. Pebble Beach®, Pebble Beach Golf Links®, Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance™, and Pebble Beach RetroAuto™ are trademarks, service marks and trade dress of Pebble Beach Company. All rights reserved.
Pebble Beach Company, headquartered in Pebble Beach, Calif., owns and operates the world-famous Pebble Beach Resorts®, including The Lodge at Pebble Beach™, The Inn at Spanish Bay™ and Casa Palmero®. The company also operates four renowned golf courses: Pebble Beach Golf Links®, Spyglass Hill® Golf Course, The Links at Spanish Bay™ and Del Monte™ Golf Course. Its other famed properties include the scenic 17-Mile Drive® and The Spa at Pebble Beach™, and it annually hosts premier events such as the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, the Callaway Golf Pebble Beach Invitational, the Pebble Beach Food & Wine event and the Nature Valley First Tee Open at Pebble Beach. Site of the 2019 U.S. Open Championship, Pebble Beach Golf Links® has hosted five U.S. Opens, four U.S. Amateurs, one PGA Championship, and numerous other tournaments. For reservations or more information please call (800) 654-9300 or visit www.pebblebeach.com.
# # #